Recently I wrote a blog on “Don’t Get Stuck. Learning Yourself.” to which I am continuing. At some point in life we all get “stuck”.
Do you ever feel this way?
Have you ever looked at the people around you and wondered why their lives are moving forward (falling in love, getting married, having children, getting wonderful jobs, making a lot of money, having a great social life) and yet your life seems to be standing still or worse going backwards?
You are not alone in your thoughts. As a runner, I run at my own pace and as a life coach, I tell my clients they need to run life at their own pace as well. Some are sprinters and some are turtles. It doesn’t matter what your pace is, the important part is that you finish.
I mentioned in an earlier post about comparing yourself to others. We live in a competitive world. No one would argue that. Yet the truth is you are ultimately running your own race. The person you are competing against most of the time is yourself. I can’t help thinking we have an internal competition/tug of war going on with the person we are right now and the person we want to be (or know we can be). This can be great when setting goals and being eager to reach them, but it can be damaging if you look at everyone around you and compare yourself.
Here are some things you need to keep in mind:
- This is YOUR race, your life — Look at where you are, how you got there, obstacles along the way. Those around you do not have the same life experience, so you can’t compare.
- Be Patient—sometimes we need time on our side. The good stuff takes time, but it will come.
- Have a Plan and Take Action – Ask yourself how you want your life to move along? Do you have a plan in place to achieve what you want? Are you working every day towards making that plan a reality or are you hoping your heart’s desire simply manifests itself out of thin air without any effort on your part? Are you lost in this plan? Many things in life just don’t fall into our laps. They take work and courage. If you are simply sitting around waiting for your great life to fall into place, you might be waiting a long time.
I can help you get your plan in place, see possible obstacles along the way and plan around them. I can also get you running your own race, following you desires. www.Beckyshafferliveinconfidence.com
- Accept that your Path may be Different than those Around You – Going down another path is ok. I have met many people in their 40’s that have chosen to go to college for the first time or even change careers. Something help them up and today, they are walking their own path.
- Life Is Always Different from the Outside – That life you are watching of those around you may be full of bumps. We never know if someone is happy, what life is really like for them, yet we compare ourselves to them. You could be one disappointed person if you saw reality.
- Be Happy Where you are at today — When it all comes down to it, it’s about being happy where you are right now in this moment. It’s about focusing on what you want and making it happen and not comparing your progress or success to other people.
I’m going through an interesting stage of my life at the moment. It’s a bit like a roller coaster ride to be honest. I left a 19 year career, blended a family and the run is not a fast pace one by any means. There are a lot of pot holes along the way, a lot of learning, a lot of changes and a lot of growth. The key word here is GROWTH. Despite the roller coaster, I know I’m on the right path for me and I’ve ditched comparing myself to other people.
You have to stop listening to your own toxic negative self-talk and learn to talk to yourself in an encouraging and loving way (and boy let me tell you, that makes a MASSIVE difference). We get one chance at this race of life and this is your race, your run and your pace.
Are you ready to move forward? Ready to see results and feel great about where you are at this very moment? Go to www.BeckyShafferliveinconfidence and schedule your FREE 30 minute session to see if working together is a great fit for you.
Becky Shaffer–Life Coach Liveinconfidence@gmail.com